Monday, June 30, 2014

Stomps! Legs of a Knight

I've made some nice progress on my Imperial Knight! This has been a really fun project so far, and I have tried my hand at several new things.
 
First, I sculpted some fur onto his shoulder pads. I've never done any real sculpting before, and I'm very happy with how they've turned out so far. They're finished but the torso they attach to still has some work to go.


I thought it would be fun to do one brown and one grey. The more I paint brown fur, the more I think I am getting the hang of it. Just took a little longer to figure out than the grey. I might go back and touch up some of my grey wolves now, since they're a little sad.

Happily, I have made some good strides with the rest of him. His legs are entirely finished. I glued down the armor plates and his tabard last night. He went from being in about 16 pieces to being in 7. I went a little crazy with the decals, perhaps. I wanted him to look fancy enough to denote his stature, though.


One of the more fun parts was learning to make my own decals. Most of the decals shown are either from the Knight kit or from those that came with my Space Wolf boxes. But the wolf heads on the red part of his shin guards are ones I printed out myself, using Testors decal paper. I'll definitely talk about that more later, but as you can see, I think they turned out pretty swanky.

His left knee, though, is free handed. Again, another new thing. I've done minimal freehand to this point. I think it turned out ok for my first attempt. It looks good from here, but not so nice upon up close scrutiny.

I am enjoying working on him. Even though he was pretty pricey, I have already gotten more hobby time out of him than a box of Grey Hunters. He's approximately 1/3 complete, so the price per hobby hour is about the same. I am going to field him for the 4th time tomorrow and I'm quite looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. He's looking good! And testor makes some awesome decal paper. My Deathwing Banner is a decal and I was extremely happy with it. Glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The decal really was as simple as print-seal-apply and I couldn't believe it. I think I will do a special one for my venerable dreadnaught's banner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...