The miniature we painted was Reaper's Viking Girl. A fun model with some nice textures to work on. Normally I'm all over Reaper's miniatures, but most had serious trouble straightening out her sword. I was lucky and just needed to tweak it back a little on mine. I don't miss working with metal minis.
We started by learning two brush blending on her cloak. This technique has changed my life. Essentially, you start by putting down a medium base color. Then you take two brushes, one loaded with a darker paint and the other damp with water. You apply a dot of paint in, say, the crevice of her cloak, and then use the wet brush to blend the dark color into the medium one. Same can be done with a highlight. The effect itself is great, but how easy it is to do is really what sold me on it.
|I am so proud of my cloak.|
Day two covered hair/fur and metallics. Much less frustrating than eyes, for sure. I don't think I really got the hang of the hair technique. I think with more practice (and a different color set) it will look a lot better. But the reddish brown just wasn't working out.
|As finished as I got her over the weekend.|
One of things I didn't expect to learn was how much I like the P3 paints. I've almost exclusively used GW paints (and a few Reaper here and there) since that's what we have had. I don't think I am going to make the swap over, as we have so much paint already, but I'll probably use them again in the future.
I wanted to get this post up a little sooner, but again, holiday travels. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. I'll be updating again next week with my 2013 Daemonette Project miniature. She is in progress!