Thursday, September 20, 2012

Heresy Space Wolves- The Start

Last post, I asked if I should start on my Heresy Wolves now, or if I should wait and see what Forgeworld comes out with in the coming months. The overwhelming consensus was that I should kick my lazy butt into gear and do it myself- for a menagerie of very good reasons. Thank you all for your input.

And so, it has begun.


I decided to start with the easiest models- the Fenrisian wolves. I heard fur was easy to sculpt, plus I have experience with the similarly designed Chaos Warhounds, so I knew I was going to have to fill in the gaps along where the two body halves meet. I didn't really know what to do about it when I assembled the Warhounds, and I ended up going back a year later (after they were painted) to fill in the gaps and then repaint the parts I touched up. Not a good plan.


I put a little rope of greenstuff all the way around the seam along the wolf's back and then pressed the halves together. I scraped off the excess with my Exacto knife and it worked wonderfully. I did the same with the head pieces. A little time consuming, but completely worth the effort. I wasn't a huge fan of how their heads looked once on either, so I added greenstuff behind the head piece and sculpted some fur in behind to make it look more seamless.

Lastly, I filled in the very slight gap line along their bellies with a little liquid greenstuff. The gap was so small, I didn't think I needed to go all out and use the regular green stuff. It was far easier to use a paintbrush to put a little LGS in there than to use the regular kind.

I used this same basic plan on the Thunderwolves. They had a few more pieces to them, so it wasn't as easy. The one pain in the butt is that their paws are separate from their legs. When you assemble these guys, do yourself a huge favor and glue the paw to the leg before trying to scrape the mold lines off it, and glue the paws on before you attach the body halves and legs.


All in all, I'm pleased with how they turned out. I really like the Thunderwolf models, but their heads were a little weird to assemble and put on. I didn't really need to add greenstuff to the necks of the Fenrisian wolves, but I absolutely did for the Thunderwolves, otherwise they'd have looked a bit goofy.

Now that I've done the easy sculpting, it's time to move on to something harder- the Grey Hunters. They need quite a bit of work to them to get the armor as it should be. I haven't even begun to think about what I'll have to do to their weapons just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...